Saturday, October 27, 2012

October Sister Read - Daughter of Smoke and Bone by Laini Taylor



Synopsis (as taken from Goodreads):  

Around the world, black hand prints are appearing on doorways, scorched there by winged strangers who have crept through a slit in the sky.

In a dark and dusty shop, a devil's supply of human teeth grows dangerously low.

And in the tangled lanes of Prague, a young art student is about to be caught up in a brutal otherwordly war.
Meet Karou. She fills her sketchbooks with monsters that may or may not be real; she's prone to disappearing on mysterious "errands"; she speaks many languages—not all of them human; and her bright blue hair actually grows out of her head that color. Who is she? That is the question that haunts her, and she's about to find out.

When one of the strangers—beautiful, haunted Akiva—fixes his fire-colored eyes on her in an alley in Marrakesh, the result is blood and starlight, secrets unveiled, and a star-crossed love whose roots drink deep of a violent past. But will Karou live to regret learning the truth about herself?


D’s Rating: ❤❤❤❤ 3/4   (out of five hearts)

D’s Rating: ❤❤❤ (out of five hearts)



D’s Thoughts:


I originally chose this book because it was on NPR's 100 Best-Ever Teen Novels list that we've already had a discussion about on this blog, which you can read here. Granted, Daughter of Smoke and Bone was number 87, but I fancied the title and S hadn't read it either, so it was a good match. 

Look, I'm not saying it's the greatest book ever written, but it should have been at least a little higher on that list! The plot, without giving too much away, was so original, and I was always on edge about what would happen next. Not once did I think, "okay, we get the point, you're dragging this on a bit much", which is pretty rare for me to say. Additionally, the "darkness" of the plot balanced perfectly against every gooey-lovey-hopey scene so that the book wasn't too much in either direction. Finally, it was so beautifully written! I know I've said that about pretty much every book on here, but Ms. Taylor always knew the perfect word to use. For example, take this quote out of context, and every girl now has a way to describe how she has felt around at least one person in their lives. Put it in context, and it's even more suitable for the situation: "It brought a flush to her cheeks. The temerity of butterflies to trouble her now. What was she, some giddy girl to swoon at beauty?"


The only reason this book gets 4 and 3/4 hearts instead of 5 is that it was occasionally hard to follow when the book no longer went in chronological order. There are three chapters toward the end, for example, that go in this order: a certain (very important) day-->the day before-->the day after. I understand the author's intent in doing so, but it usually took a paragraph or two to  figure out where we were.


Organization aside, the book was gorgeous. It was our original intent to not read a book series on TSR, but I just found out that the sequel--Days of Blood and Starlight--comes out on November 6th in the US and November 8th in the UK. You can bet your teeth I'll be reading it!


Standout Quotes:


"The end."
"What do you mean it's the end?"
She said, smoothing her cheek against the golden skin of his chest, "The story is unfinished. The world is still waiting."

"She had never guessed how deep happiness could go. in spite of the tragedy in her childhood and the ever-present press of war, she had mostly considered herself happy. There was almost always something to take delight n if you were trying. But this was different. It couldn't be contained. She sometimes imagined it streaming out of her like light."


"I don't know many rules to live by...but here's one. It's simple. Don't put anything unnecessary into yourself. No poisons or chemicals, no fumes or smoke or alcohol, no sharp objects, no inessential needles--drug or tattoo--and...no inessential man parts, either."



Album to listen to while reading this book: Tragic Kingdom - No Doubt (my latest addiction thanks to S)

S’s Thoughts:


I will be the first to say I was wrong about this book.  I've seen it in the bookshop many times and always picked it up and scoffed at it being YA lit/fantasy/romance.  But this book was good.  I mean, really good.  As in I kept reading it every chance I got, good.  So I take back my misgivings and apologise to D for criticising the book mentally beforehand.

What did I like about the book?  It was different--I don't think I've read anything like it before.  I don't want to go into too much detail and ruin the plot but it was addictive.  The settings were gorgeous... Prague, Marrakech (which I'm planning to visit in early 2013)... amazing.  I loved the descriptions of everything from appearances to the fabric of dresses; it was all very whimsical and I think I needed a dose of the fantastical.

What didn't I like?  Well, not much.  It was a rather dark book and after reading JK Rowling's "A Casual Vacancy" which was just as dark in a more human way, I really feel like I need some serious brain fluff with no substance.  All the depressing storylines are starting to get to me!

Anyhow, I'll definitely be reading the sequel at some point soon.


Standout Quotes:


"Eager to be helful, Razgut supplied, 'She tastes like nectar and salt.  Nectar and salt and apples.  Pollen and stars and hinges.  She tastes like fairy tales.  Swan maiden at midnight.  Cream on the tip of a fox's tongue.  She tastes like hope."

"Such a little thing, and brittle, and the sound it made:  a sharp, clean snap"

"There was no more happiness.  But under the misery, there was hope."

Album to listen to while reading this book:  Falling Up - Digby (local Louisville legends)

November’s book is S’s choice and is Behind the Beautiful Forevers by Katherine Boo.


See you soon! S & D

No comments:

Post a Comment